Fix “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance.” Error
Sticking at the “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance page. Check back in a minute.” error message typically appears when WordPress is in the middle of a scheduled maintenance task, such as a plugin or theme update. It can also happen when an update process is interrupted and the maintenance file is not removed correctly. To fix this error, you can try the following steps:
- Check your website in a few minutes; the error message should disappear once the maintenance task is complete.
- Log in to your WordPress site via FTP and navigate to your site’s root directory.
- Look for a file named “.maintenance” and delete it. This file is created when WordPress starts a maintenance task and is removed when the task is complete. Please enable “show hidden files” in your FTP client.
- If the file is not present, then the error message may be caused by a plugin or theme conflict. Try disabling all your plugins, then re-enable them one by one until you find the one causing the issue.
- If you are using a caching plugin, try to clear the cache.
- If the issue persists, you can try to manually update your WordPress site by following the instructions in this guide: https://codex.wordpress.org/Updating_WordPress
- If none of the above steps works, you can try disabling all of your plugins, then re-enable them one by one until you find the one causing the issue.
- You can also check your website logs to see if there are any errors reported during the maintenance process.
It’s worth noting that if you’re using a managed hosting service, they may have a built-in maintenance mode feature, which might be the reason for this issue.